Digital Law (which covers technology law, cyber law, data law, information technology law) is an area of law encompassing all activities conducted online including Data Protection, Privacy, Cyber Security, Cyber Crime, Websites, Social Media Networks and online surveillance. In essence, it governs what can and cannot be done digitally and online. Companies are catching up on the societal patterns and increasingly realising the importance of the digital space and are now looking to progress beyond the traditional functionalities of online sales and advertising.
Data Protection alone is an ever expanding area of law and with the recently passed EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) imposing fines of 4% on global turnover on companies who breach the Data Protection Rules the importance on ensuring compliance with Data Protection Laws and Regulations is clear. The GDPR will in addition impose other burdens on businesses and companies including the need to ensure privacy policies are explained in clear and understandable language, a right to inform people when their data is hacked and a more prescriptive definition of 'consent' required from customers before their data is processed.
Digital Law is becoming a critical commercial governance issue and compliance to the relevant laws and standards is essential to both gaining and maintaining a commercial advantage. At Rennick Solicitors, we will provide Business Clients with bespoke Digital Law solutions to some of the modern day digital complexities and problems. We can advise you in the areas of: -
- Data Protection (Audit, Policy & Advice)
- Data Transfer Advice (National and International)
- Social Media & Internet Usage (Audit and Acceptable Usage policies for employees)
- Cyber Crime (Advice on Ransomware Attacks, Denial of Service Attacks)
- Cyber Security (Breaches, what to do before, during and after)
- Cyber Insurance - Advice
- Cyber Surveillance Countermeasures (legal and regulatory protection)
- Digital Breach Plan (legal, regulatory steps to be taken)
- Digital Reputation Protection (protection, prevention and remedy)
- Digital Footprints (Right to be Forgotten/ Right to be De-listed)
- Digital Privacy Advice
- Commercial Contracts to deal with digital risk, protection and breach
- Advice on surveillance (CCTV, Phone recording, online)
- Requests or demands for information from State Agencies
- Legal advice on hostile searches by State Agencies
- Policies relating to online marketing, direct marketing and promotions
- Assistance in gaining ISO 27001, 27002 accreditation relating to Information security.
- Online Policies (cookie usage, terms & condition, advertisers/sponsors contracts)